Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The making of Lost Dream Machine Pendant 5

Promisses are to be kept !
So many people have no knowledge of how much work goes into a piece. As I mentioned earlier, many think that for instance a pendant is put together by pieces we find or buy somewhere. Well, to prove different I made a series of photographs of (some of) the different stages in making a pendant. I use traditional techniques like soldering and forging the silver, and explaining every single step in the process would go a bit far, so I photographed only the important steps of the creation of LDMP5 to give you an idea.



Pic.1
Rough sketch of the design as it developed in my mind...
 
Pic.2
Detailed illustrator drawing of the pendant to be.





Pic.3
I used a new plate of Sterling silver for this occasion.




Pic.4
The front and the back of the main body of the pendant cut out. Taking this picture was done in seconds... Cutting out the figures from the front-disc took me somewhat longer!
  


Pic.5
Then the two discs were forged to domes. As you can see the silver oxidises when heated by the torch and dark firescale builds up. Heating makes the metal (Sterling silver in this case) softer so it gets easier to forge it.




 

Pic.6
Something like ears were soldered on. the hinges will be soldered on to these afterwards.




Pic.7
Ok, now it starts to look like the pendant. The hinges were soldered on, the bezel for the stone was made together with the two sticks. The upper stick got two decorations at the ends. Everything is just laid together here, but at this stage I decided that the bottom stick is to large to my taste, so I am going to shorten that one to about half this size.



 

Pic.8
That's better. I put the 1/2mm wire around the sticks and shortened the bottom part.




Pic.9
Here it is all provisionally put together with the disc opened. the two parts of the disc can be opened and closed.



 

Pic.10
All put together nicely, hinges finished and everything pickled (in this process it is put into an acid to remove the oxidation/firescale) and closed this time...


  
Pic.11
This is what it looks like after sanding (pfff, time consuming!) and brushing to a nice mat shimmer appears on the silver.



 

Pic.12
Getting near the end now. This is the gem that needs to be put in.
It's a 11mm round CZ Amethyst.



 

Pic.13
Et voilà!
Now it only needs a chain and some final finishing.



 

Pic.14
LDMP5 ready to be purchased !
:-))





2 comments:

  1. Great process shots! How you can stop at any point and take a photo is beyond me. Either I forget that I should take a picture, or my hands are so cramped I no longer care.

    Fab piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! If it wasn't sold I'd heart it :)

    ReplyDelete